Steady production and sales growth
- In Q2 2016, EU food and drink industry production increased by 0.2%.
- EU food and drink industry turnover remained unchanged from the previous quarter.
- The year-on-year comparison shows that food and drink industry turnover performed better than total manufacturing turnover (0.7% vs. -1% compared to Q2 2015). Total manufacturing production growth and food and drink industry production performed equally well (1.4% compared to Q2 2015).
- Food manufacturing prices decreased by 0.3% in Q2 2016, and were 1.4% lower compared to Q2 2015.
Employment: stable in Q2
- Employment in the EU food and drink industry increased by 0.3% in Q2 2016.
- Employment in the food and drink industry remained on a positive growth trend, and in the long term, continues to outperform the average employment level growth in the manufacturing industry (Q2 2016/Q2 2011: +3.3% (food and drink industry) vs +1.1% (manufacturing)).
External trade: EU exports reach €25.4 bn
- Extra-EU exports of food and drink products totalled €25.4 billion in Q2 2016 (Q2 2016/Q2 2015: +4.1%).
- The trade surplus reached €7.5 billion in Q2 2016.
- The top 5 products with the largest share in export value generated €12.2 bn in Q2 2016 (meat, dairy, wine, spirits, processed fruits and vegetables).
- Extra-EU imports of food and drink products reached €17.8 bn (Q2 2016/Q2 2015: -3.5%).
Click here for more information: Economic Bulletin Q2 2016 graphs and tables